Thursday, June 24, 2010

Strawberry Ice Cream



This is most likely my last strawberry creation (at least this week). Strawberry season will last a little longer and I may be further inspired to try something else....a tart perhaps. After three batches of strawberry freezer jam, cookies and several fresh eaten strawberries, I decided to preserve the final few quarts of strawberries with cream, milk, sugar and pure vanilla in the form of some homemade strawberry ice cream.

I soaked the strawberries in sugar and fresh lemon juice all morning and mashed the strawberries to get some good juice to color the ice cream. I mixed the cream, milk, sugar and vanilla with the fresh strawberry juice and crushed strawberries and put it in my Cuisinart ice cream maker.


When it first comes out of the ice cream machine after about 25 minutes, it has a nice soft gelato like texture.


We sampled some and it was AMAZING and the rest went in a freezer safe container to freeze more to enjoy later.

2 comments:

  1. The strawberry extravaganza looks so incredibly delicious! I think I'll have to invite myself over next week... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do - I need help eating the things I'm drawn to make! I'm crazy about ice cream treats right now and have three different homemade ice creams in the freezer. The flavors I want to try next are salted caramel and coconut with roasted almond. I'm making ice cream sandwiches for all the nieces (and nephew) to enjoy this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete